This training program is designed for professionals working in community services, health & education who provide services to children, youth, adults & families who have experienced trauma. The ‘8 principles of trauma-informed practice’ will be discussed and practical strategies to implement these in various contexts (e.g. schools, foster care, residential care, office based workplaces etc.) will be explored.
The 2 day program covers the following:
Part 1: Understanding Trauma
- Define complex trauma.
- Discuss the immediate and long term impact of Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE's).
- Identify the impact of trauma on: brain development, attachment and memory.
Part 2: Trauma-Informed Care
- Define Trauma-Informed care.
- Discuss 8 Principles of trauma-informed care.
- Apply an understanding of trauma-informed care to create safe environments and build strong relationships with children, youth, adults and families you work with.
Part 3: Develop Own Practice
- Apply an understanding of trauma-informed care to support workers, including self-care strategies to manage secondary traumatic stress (vicarious trauma).
Identify resources & further professional development to implement trauma-informed practices in your workplace.